Last week President Obama spoke at the 2015 National Prayer Breakfast, an annual event where religious leaders (predominantly, but not exclusively Christian) gather to hear inspirational speeches about the role of faith in civil life along with personal testimonies about how that faith has impacted individual lives in a positive and meaningful way.
It is customary for the President to be in attendance and to speak at this event. And President Obama has honored that custom in previous years, as he did again this year. But this year, the President sparked controversy over comments he made related to the way in which good religions can be twisted and perverted into ugly tools of violence and hatred.
Have you explored the Christian discipline of “spiritual reading?” One of the ways we nourish our souls and deepen our faith is through reading good books on the spiritual life. Summer is a great time to dive into some good books. Here are some ideas to get you started.
Okay, let me preface what I am about to say with the following disclaimers:
- I am not a scientist
- I am not a “young earth creationist”
- I am a Christian who believes that the Bible is inspired by God
- My Christian Faith is not dependent upon the age of the earth.
- My Christian Faith is not destroyed by the Theory of Evolution.
- I believe debates between creationism and evolution are a waste of time and energy.
I thought for my blog this week I would mention a few of my favorite blogs and websites. Feel free to check these out, you might find them useful and insightful.